At MIX ‘09 Microsoft showed off SuperPreview, an incredible tool for Web developers looking to make sure Web sites look the same across all browsers. SuperPreview can cut development and design testing time significantly with these awesome features:
- Preview ASPX, PHP, JSP, and HTML Web pages as rendered by different browsers side-by-side
- Previews can be generated by IE6, IE7, IE8, FireFox, and even Safari!
- Highlight areas in one preview and see them highlighted in the other preview, so you can see where DIVs are having issues
- Overlay previews on mock-ups or on other previews to see alignment issues – way cool
- Save development time and client budget by giving this tool to your design and testing teams
- Much, much more, and it’s FREE
Side by Side Previews:
PHP and ASPX pages in SuperPreview: (note these images came from Microsoft’s SuperPreview Features Page)
There are obviously some limitations, especially since this is only a beta release, but this should be in your development arsenal.
Microsoft also showed off Expression Blend 3 Preview, with a Sketch Flow feature. Simply “sketch” your site pages with simple WPF controls, and fill in the blanks. Yes, an entire site shell built quickly, with no code. How cool is that? Thanks Microsoft. (to be fair, the Sketch Flow feature was not included in the beta, bummer)
There’s a lot more to be learned, with oodles of videos to watch – just visit the MIX ‘09 site.